Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Buzz Blog Post #3

I did a few sky punches last night when I checked in with Buzz about how he was doing dropping the soft drinks. That’s a HUGE change for anyone – and since diet can so closely affect the way you feel, a major change such as dropping 4-6 large soft drinks a day with their accompanying sugar, caffeine and calories can make you feel pretty punky. That was why I didn’t want to drop any additional changes on him for a bit – let him make that one immediate difference, give him time to adjust and then make the next step.


I had also asked him to get a scale. Now I don’t believe in following the scale to death – once every week or so to kinda touch base with yourself is plenty. However, it is a good way to give yourself concrete feedback, especially when committing to making some major, permanent, lifestyle changes. And Buzz got the scale. But there was a problem. Here’s what he said:

“Alright here is my update. Yes I got some scales but up until today I was so fat they would not register. I have lost weight but I can only guess how much. When I went to the Dr. A few weeks ago I was 314 lb. This is why I have so motivation.”

So Buzz couldn’t really get a beginning weight on his home scales, but we did have a starting number on the one from his doctor’s office. So we’re going to use 314 as his starting point. I still need to get his height, and I’d love to know what his doctor says about an ideal weight for him (he’s a tall guy), but I’m guessing that our ultimate dream goal would be to drop a pound or two a week until he has shed about 100-125 pounds. That’s of course a two year goal – we’re talking lifetime changes here though. But…

Ready for the sky-punch part? Here goes –

“This morning the scales worked! I came in at 310.5 so at least I have a starting point to track my progress. The sodas are gone! All that I have been drinking is coffee and water.”

Five days after dropping sodas, Buzz has also dropped 3.5 pounds. YES! Yes! That’s awesome!!! One of the cooler parts is that he got some big time immediate rewards for giving up his sodas – I love it. And he jumpstarted his long term weight loss. Go Buzz!!! I read that email at about 1:30 AM this morning, and was too psyched to sleep for a while. I’m so proud!

Ok – so here’s his next two assignments. Buddy Buzz – what foods are your major downfalls? I know you’re a bachelor, so give me input on your typical diet for a day. Fast food? Snack foods? Or pre-packaged stuff from the store? Do you cook for yourself? How often? I want you to do three things for me this week.

1. Grab a little notebook – one with folders. You’re going to carry this around with you and make notes on what you eat and when. Yes when – timing on calorie intake is more important than most people realize. Why? This will help me get a handle on your total calorie intake, the types of nutrients, and also which tempting foods you find it hard to resist. With me it’s crunchy, savory salty things. We all have food enemies.

2. You’re going to keep your receipts for me – any food receipt you have, whether grocery store, fast food, restaurants or a quick hot dog from a convenience store. Why? Because by the time we’re done you’re going to be stunned at how much money I’m going to cut out of your food bill. You’re going to stash the difference in a savings account. That’s going to be part of how you reward yourself. And probably buy me a present with some of it .

3. You’re going to inventory your kitchen. I know as a bachelor you may have a typical single guy stash in the kitchen, as that’s fine. You are allowed some of that! BUT – we’re going to take a look at what you keep (if anything) and re-work your pantry to make it much easier to keep you on track.

These sound like a pain in the butt – and they will be at first. But you’ll also find that taking a moment to jot down the notes will become second nature. You’ll forget stuff at first, and loose receipts, but within a few days you’ll get your brain around it and find it’s not hard at all. And these steps are important. We BOTH need to be aware of what you eat, so we can choose the best changes to make.

Finally – other than the homework above, I want to know about breakfast. Do you eat breakfast? If so, how soon after you get up, and what do you typically eat?

All righty then! I know this is a lot of work for this week, but most of it is thought time. Keep off the soft drinks – let me know about your height, if your doc gave you a weight goal, and about breakfast. Then get your notebook and start your homework. Ok? Ok!!! I’m proud!!! Keep it up!

No comments: